Sunday, September 19, 2010

reflection 4

The Skype chat with Mr. Ira Socol was wonderful. I truly enjoyed listening to what he had to say about using technology for students with special needs. The one of the best parts during the chat, was when he shared his personal information about his childhood. I always believed with encouragement children with special needs can be successful, if they are given an opportunity and tools to help them learn. I remember when my son was diagnosed with a learning disablity, nobody really offer any soluations to make his learning a little easier. So I researched on my own to figure out what I could find to help him get through school without getting frustrated and wanting to give up. We took him to a doctor who explain to us how the brain works processing information. Our son didn't process information like the majority of children. So we found different ways to help him read by getting books on tape. We couldn't find information about text books on tape or I would read the book to him. He could process the information better by reading along. He is almost finished with his associates degree. I think molding all students together to learn a certain way is crazy. I know reaching all students is hard in the education field because of the time limit. Maybe asking what kind of technology would help a gifted, culturally, or special needs student learn better would be a better approach in education.

1 comment:

  1. Teachers are supposed to be the professionals when it comes to educating all of our students. I think it is shameful that parents can't find the help for their children in a school. It is wonderful that you put forth all the effort you did for your son, but the reality is many parents can't or won't do that.

    How will your experiences with your son shape how your class is run? Will you integrate assistive technologies throughout your curriculum?

    ReplyDelete